Assumption Parish is hiring a Coordinator of Youth Ministry.
Reports to: Appointed Supervisor/mentor
The Coordinator of Youth Ministry (CYM) is the full time paid professional who is the specialized Lay Ecclesial Minister responsible for coordinating and directing the response of the Christian Community to the needs of young people and their families, fostering their development as Catholic Christians and drawing them into responsible participation in the life, mission and ministry of the Church.
The CYM will meet regularly with the Pastor and the Team Members to discuss goals, objectives and activities affecting parish life.
- In seeking to develop a comprehensive and effective parish-based youth ministry, the CYM’s responsibilities will include the following:
- Using the Diocesan Vision of Parish Youth Ministry and the Canadian document “You Give Them Something to Eat” as a guide in developing programs and initiatives.
- Ensuring the establishment and ongoing functioning of a “Youth & Family Ministry Commission”.
Along with this Commission, the CYM will:
- Regularly assess and prioritize the needs of the parish young people and their families.
- Coordinate and foster the development of parish ministries to youth and families.
- Work to implement and evaluate parish youth/family ministry efforts.
- Recruit, oversee, and ensure screening of all volunteer youth/family ministers (in accordance with Called, Gifted and Sent guidelines).
- Gather and ensure the orientation and training of all volunteer youth ministers.
- Ensure a regular growth enhancing support structure for all Youth Ministers.
- Communicate and collaborate with high school campus ministers, principals, and teachers, as well as neighbouring parishes.
- Make pastoral visitations to the parish elementary and secondary schools.
- Be open to membership on the Parish Pastoral Council, as a member of the Pastoral Team (TBD).
- Facilitate communication with other parish ministries and parishioners.
- Develop a parish library of youth ministry resources.
- Be visible and available to the parishioners.
- Collaborate with the diocesan Youth Ministry Specialist and participate in diocesan initiatives.
In addition, the CYM will:
- Support and participate with the APCA (Assumption Parish Community Association) and oversee operation of bingo fundraising of the APCA;
- Implement formation programs for the sacramental life of children and youth, namely First Reconciliation, First Eucharist, and Confirmation preparation, including follow-up and ongoing support (in collaboration with the pastoral minister);
- Coordinate the liturgical celebrations of sacraments for children;
- Be responsible for the engagement, formation, training, support and appreciation of the altar servers;
- Coordinate children’s formation programs during weekend masses
- Establish youth ministry outreach geared to high school aged youth
- Organize, promote, and implement seasonal family focused celebrations/festivals (as has been previously offered in the parish)
- Engage youth in whole parish activities and celebrations, and participate in special events particular to liturgical seasons (e.g., Youth stations in Lent)
- Design and implement other youth ministry events for community building and evangelization (as time allows, given the previously listed priorities)
- Advocate for youth and family programming to be included in Assumption Cares outreach
- Participate in weekly supervision meetings with the direct supervisor
- Participate in pastoral team meetings and ongoing formation, as well as Diocesan formation for LEMs
- Have a regular presence at weekend worship with the Assumption community
Upon successful hiring, the candidate will provide a current Police Record Check and will agree to psychological testing with regards to suitability for ministry, as required by the diocese.
- Experience and education in Youth Ministry.
- Active, practicing Catholic; a letter of recommendation from Pastor is required.
- A concern for young people.
- Friendly personality—gets along well with most people.
- Dedication and commitment—feels “called” to this ministry and is aware of what is involved.
- Leadership qualities: ability to motivate and enable others; ability to convene, manage, and direct groups.
- Organizational skills: ability to implement a plan of action in an organized and efficient manner.
- Teaching skills: ability to instruct groups.
- Communication skills: ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Skills in volunteer recruitment, training and support
- Formal education in the Catholic Faith.
The CYM is accountable to the Pastor or his designate in the exercise of his/her gifts on behalf of the parish community. The CYM is also accountable to the Diocese of London in accordance with policies and procedures in place for all ministers and employees.
Parish Responsibilities include
- The provision of salary and benefits of the Coordinator of Youth Ministry, as stated in the Personnel Policy Manual (2006), and in accordance with the diocesan annual salary guidelines.
- Assistance with the cost of the Coordinator of Youth Ministry’s annual retreat and training and professional development, as outlined in the Personnel Policy Manual.
- The provision of funding towards an annual budget for youth ministry programs, for volunteer training, and for resources for youth ministry
- The provision of supplies and shared office space, with some secretarial support
- The provision of meeting space for youth ministry activities.
- The development of a specific job description for this position.
- A ministry evaluation to be done with the pastor and supervisor, at conclusion of the six-month probationary period, and annually thereafter.
- Support for the recruitment of Youth Commission membership
Coordinator of Youth Ministry – Agreement
A six-month probationary agreement is to be signed by all parties, with original to be forwarded to the Lay Ecclesial Ministry Specialist of the Diocese of London for final signature. (This will be returned to the Pastor/Supervisor).
Because a Coordinator of Youth Minister’s responsibilities sometimes involves work during weekends, evenings, or more hours per week during some seasons than others, the preceding role description will be carried out by the CYM on a flexible time schedule, and according to terms mutually agreed upon.
Please send cover letter, resume, and three reference letters, including one from your Pastor.
Applications may be e-mailed to Jean Beneteau (email@example.com), faxed to (519) 253-5373, or mailed to:
Our Lady of the Assumption Parish
Attn: Search Committee
350 Huron Church Rd.
Windsor, ON N9C 2J9
No calls, please.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications will be accepted until October 25th.