Phase 2A & 2B – Interior
Underway (started in July 2020)
The second phase of the restoration of Assumption Church will be divided into three parts, A, B, and C.
- Part A: East Aisle Ceiling
- Part B: West Aisle & Mary’s Altar Ceiling
- Part C: Centre Aisle Ceiling & Organ Restoration
Phase 2 requires that the plaster in the ceiling be consolidated to ensure its adherence to the lathes. This work involves applying a compound from inside the attic. The insulation is removed from the attic to expose the lathe and plaster above the ceiling.
Any loose plaster is vacuumed out of the space between the lathe. Several applications of this compound are required.
At the same time, scaffolding is required to ensure that any compound that may penetrate the exposed surface is removed immediately.
Once completed, plaster repairs will be made and painting will take place.
Work will also take place to update the electrical, fire systems, lighting and catwalk in the attic.
Work to Date:
- Plaster consolidation on the east side (Phase 2A) was completed in the fall of 2021.
- The east side (Phase 2A) was finished in December 2021.
- Work resumed in April 2022 on the west side (Phase 2B).
- The west side (Phase 2B), including Mary’s altar is expected to be finished late summer 2023.
- The final phase of interior work, the centre ceiling (Phase 2C) will start in mid 2023 with work above the organ and choir loft.